Home Community Crypto, Trading, Investing, and Technology BTRC Auto-trade USC pair and shortsignals

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I just wanted to know if the auto-trade follow both long and short signals on the USDC/BTC pair.

Thanks.

JustinJustin

Hello @daam37! It is just long trades. Coinbase Pro does not support short trading.

Thank you!

Participant

Hello Justin,
      sorry to ask but what do you mean exactly when you say that “Coinbase Pro does not support short trading”?

For my knowledge in Coinbase Pro has always been possible to short trade (meaning: selling at a higher price and buying at a lower one)…

Maybe I misunderstood the original question?

I also wanted to ask this question because I have a doubt about how to handle stop-losses in Coinbase Pro, but I think I’ll ask it in another post…

Thank you as always for your help,
      Matteo

JustinJustin

Matteo-

You can definitely sell high and buy back low. That is effectively what Crypto-ML is helping people do. However, when you sell out of BTC, you’re really just sitting on the side, protecting your money.

Short selling is a bit different. You’d sell on margin (e.g. sell Bitcoin you don’t have) and then buy it back at a lower price to settle. Since you’re selling something you don’t have, you are “borrowing” from the exchange (aka using margin).

Coinbase Pro used to support this and is talking about doing it again. But they do not currently. See the 4th FAQ here: https://support.pro.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2936521-frequently-asked-questions-faq-

Here’s a post that dives into this a bit more: https://crypto-ml.com/short-sell-bitcoin/

Thanks! I really appreciate the questions.

Participant

I see, thank you for the clarification Justin.

I didn’t get you were talking about margin trading….

Having read the linked post please allow me to ask:

Between Bitfinex and BitMex, which platform do you think is better for trading with (and without) margin?

At the moment I’d prefer not to try the btc futures…

Thank you as always!

JustinJustin

Hi @matthew 55…I don’t have much experience with either of those. I’d love to get some input from others here to see their thoughts.

And when it comes to choosing an exchange, the country matters too. Which country are you trading from?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.